HADLEY, Mass. - The New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) and the NESCAC Student Advisory Committee on Athletics’ (SAAC) is proud to announce the release of an It's On Us video today in conjunction with the NESCAC It's On Us Time of Action, which is taking place November 28-December 9.
"The NESCAC SAAC is proud to take a stand as one against sexual assault. We recognize that it's on us to trust our instincts and intervene in suspicious situations to protect our classmates, regardless of gender. We take ownership of our roles as leaders in our communities, where safety and support are top priorities,” said Lillie Simourian ’17 of the Hamilton women’s squash and lacrosse teams and Chair of NESCAC SAAC.
The video was filmed during the fall NESCAC SAAC meeting at Tufts University. Each of the 11 NESCAC institutions participated in the video, with 25 student-athletes sharing how it is on all of us in the NESCAC to work together to put an end to sexual assault.
During this period, students, staff and faculty at NESCAC member institutions will be taking a stand to educate and inform their campus communities about the It's On Us campaign, pledging to help keep women and men safe from sexual assault on campus.
"To coincide with the release of our It's On Us video, each institution's SAAC has found creative ways to spread the word and turn this initiative into a conference-wide campaign,” stated Simourian.
Planned NESCAC-wide activities include:
- Creating informational fliers and banners to hang on campus
- Hosting events to raise funds for sexual assault support groups
- Organizing pledge signing days at different areas on campus to sign the It's On Us online pledge
- Sponsoring workshops educating teams about supporting sexual assault survivors
- Collaborating with campus health education groups to create materials and continue education
- Sponsoring events to discuss dating violence
- Providing campus resource information at athletic events on how to get help and increase exposure of support groups available on campus
- Sharing the NESCAC It's On Us video during events and across team social media accounts