Trinity Claims 3-1 Victory Over Hamilton in NESCAC Quarterfinals

Trinity Claims 3-1 Victory Over Hamilton in NESCAC Quarterfinals

Courtesy Trinity Sports Information

Box Score

HARTFORD, Conn. – Senior forward Celia Colman-McGaw (Manchester, Conn.) scored two goals to lead Trinity to a 3-1 win over Hamilton in the quarterfinals of the NESCAC Women's Ice Hockey Championship this afternoon on Williams Rink at the Koeppel Community Sports Center.

Trinity improves to 15-10 with its third win in a row, advances to its third straight NESCAC Semifinals, and will play top-seeded Middlebury on Saturday, March 3 at 1 p.m.

No. 2-seeded Amherst plays No. 3-seeded Bowdoin at 4 p.m. the same day in the other NESCAC Semifinal at Middlebury, with the NESCAC finals the following day at 2 p.m.

Hamilton closes its season with a NESCAC Quarterfinal loss at Trinity for the second season in a row, finishing at 10-14-1.

Colman-McGaw scored her first goal 3:29 into the game during a 4-on-3 for the Bantams, converting on an assist by senior captain forward Brigitte Cellino (Buffalo, N.Y.). Bantam sophomore forward Lauren Glynn (Arlington, Mass.) netted the game-winner from senior forward Payson Sword (Princeton, N.J.) with just 56 seconds left in the first period. Trinity sophomore goalie Alexa Pujol (New Canaan, Conn.) turned aside all 12 Hamilton shots of the opening stanza.

After a scoreless second frame that featured 12 saves by Continental junior goalie Becca Hazlett (Grosse Pointe Park, Mich.) and three penalties killed off by the Hamilton defense, the visitors cut the Trinity lead in half when senior forward Lauren DiCarlo (Chicopee, Mass.) redirected the initial shot from the right wing by classmate Katie Zimmerman (Plymouth, Mich.) past Pujol 3:43 into the third period.

Colman-McGaw iced the game during a Hamilton power play with a rebound after Hazlett had stopped a hard shot by Bantam sophomore forward Macauly Bauer (Sheboygan, Wisc.) at the 12:11 mark.

Pujol finished the game with 27 saves, while Hazlett stopped 30 shots. The teams were a combined 2-for-15 on power plays, as Hamilton was whistled eight times for 16 minutes and Trinity had nine penalties for 18 minutes including a bizarre stretch early in the first period that saw four Bantams crowded in the penalty box at once.

Trinity wins its third game over Hamilton this season, all at home, its seventh in a row over the Continentals overall, and extends its undefeated streak over them to 13 games.