Middlebury Advances Past Trinity in Women's Tennis First Round
Courtesy Williams Sports Information
WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. - Katie Paradies (Atlanta, Ga.) and Lok-Sze Leung (Hong Kong) simultaneously won their matches to allow No. 3 Middlebury (14-2) to defeat No. 6 Trinity (10-6) 6-0 in the first round of the NESCAC Women's Tennis Championship at Williams.
Paradies beat Caroline Gagne (Excelsior, Minn.) 6-0, 6-1, while Leung defeated Hillary Hoyt (New York, N.Y.) 6-0, 6-2 to score the match-winning points.
Middlebury jumped out to an early lead, sweeping doubles play to post a 3-0 score heading into singles competition. Brittney Faber (Minnetonka, MN) and Leah Kepping (Northport, N.Y.) registered the Panther's first point, beating Hoyt and her partner Senzosihle Maphisa (Bulawo, Zimbabwe) 8-1 at the No. 1 spot.
Their victory was followed by Leung and Anna Burke (Oak Knoll, N.J.) defeating Cameron and Kelsey Semrod (Princeton, NJ) 8-0. Middlebury's third point came when Paradies and Victoria Aiello (Milton, Mass.) beat Gagne and Elizabeth Gerber (Bethesda, Md.) 8-4 in the closest match of the day.
Kepping beat Semrod 6-2, 6-0 to win Middlebury's 4th point. Leung's and Paradies' subsequent victories secured Middlebury's win. They will face No. 2 Amherst tomorrow at 9:00 a.m.
Middlebury College 6, Trinity College 0
1. Lok-Sze Leung (MID) def. Hilary Hoyt (TRI) 6-0, 6-2
2. Victoria Aiello (MID) vs. Senzosihle Maphisa (TRI) 6-3, 1-0, unfinished
3. Leah Kepping (MID) def. Kelsey Semrod (TRI) 6-2, 6-0
4. Brittney Faber (MID) vs. Elizabeth Gerber (TRI) 6-0, 4-1, unfinished
5. Dorrie Paradies (MID) vs. Frances Cameron (TRI) 6-3, 2-1, unfinished
6. Katie Paradies (MID) def. Caroline Gagne (TRI) 6-0, 6-1
1. Brittney Faber/Leah Kepping (MID) def. Hilary Hoyt/Senzosihle Maphisa (TRI) 8-1
2. Anna Burke/Lok-Sze Leung (MID) def. Kelsey Semrod/Frances Cameron (TRI) 8-0
3. Victoria Aiello/Katie Paradies (MID) def. Elizabeth Gerber/Caroline Gagne (TRI) 8-4
Trinity College 10-6
Middlebury College 14-2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (3,1,6)