Courtesy of Williams Sports Information
WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. — In the opening match of the 2017 NESCAC Women's Tennis Championship, No. 5 Bowdoin earned a 5-3 victory over fourth-seeded Wesleyan. The Polar Bears move on to the semifinal round and will meet No. 1 Middlebury on Saturday.
Bowdoin trailed after doubles, after falling on courts 1 and 2. The top Cardinal pairing of Eudice Chong and Victoria Yu posted an 8-0 win over their Polar Bear counterparts, Joulia Likhanskaia and Sam Stalder to give Wesleyan the early lead. Helen Klass-Warch and Nicole McCann defeated Tess Trinka and Tasha Christ, 8-6, to give Wesleyan the advantage.
The Polar Bears kept themselves within striking distance of the Cardinals with a win on Court 3 in the final match of the doubles portion, as Pilar Giffenig and Sasa Jovanovic bested Aashli Budhiraja and Dasha Dubinsky, 7-3, in the 8-all tiebreaker.
Bowdoin used its momentum from the tiebreaker win on Court 3 to fuel a comeback in singles, winning four of the first five matches on the court to secure a 5-3 victory.
The two sides traded the first two matches off the court, with Christ easing past Klass-Warch, 6-2 and 6-2, before Chong notched a win against Likhanskaia, 7-5 and 6-1.
Chong's point would be the Cardinals' last, however, as the Polar Bears proceeded to rattle off the next three matches off the court to complete their comeback. Wins from Trinka, Jovanovic, and Giffenig tallied the requisite number of points to book a place in Saturday's semifinal against Middlebury, tentatively set to start at 1 p.m.
Bowdoin 5, Wesleyan (Conn.) 3
- Chong, Eudice/Yu, Victoria (WESLEYAN) def. Likhanskaia, Joulia/Stalder, Sam (BOWDOIN) 8-0
- Klass-Warch, Helen/McCann, Nicole (WESLEYAN) def. Christ, Tasha/Trinka, Tess (BOWDOIN) 8-6
- Giffenig, Pilar/Jovanovic, Sasa (BOWDOIN) def. Budhiraja, Aashli/Dubinsky, Dasha (WESLEYAN) 9-8(3)
- Chong, Eudice (WESLEYAN) def. Likhanskaia, Joulia (BOWDOIN) 7-5, 6-1
- Trinka, Tess (BOWDOIN) def. Yu, Victoria (WESLEYAN) 6-2, 6-4
- Stalder, Sam (BOWDOIN) v. Budhiraja, Aashli (WESLEYAN) 6-3, 2-1 DNF
- Christ, Tasha (BOWDOIN) def. Klass-Warch, Helen (WESLEYAN) 6-2, 6-2
- Giffenig, Pilar (BOWDOIN) def. McCann, Nicole (WESLEYAN) 6-4, 6-0
- Jovanovic, Sasa (BOWDOIN) def. Dubinsky, Dasha (WESLEYAN) 6-2, 6-4
Order of Finish:
Doubles - 1, 2, 3
Singles - 4, 1, 2, 6, 5