WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. — The final spot in the semifinals of the 2017 NESCAC Women's Tennis Championship was decided late on Friday night, as third-seeded Tufts defeated No. 6 Amherst, 5-1. Tufts advances to face host, Williams, on Saturday.
Tufts took all three points in doubles as all three matches were each decided by a two-game margin.
Connor Calabro and Alexa Meltzer struck first on behalf of the Jumbos, as they outlasted Megan Adamo and Claire Carpenter of Amherst, 8-6, just moments before fellow Jumbos, Tomo Iwasaki and Otilia Popa, defeated Anya Ivenitsky and Avery Wagman, 9-7. The Mammoths fell in the final match in a similar fashion, as Mina Karamercan and Lauren Louks secured the 3-0 lead for the Jumbos with an 8-6 win on Court 1 over Kelsey Chen and Camille Smukler.
Katherine Wiley earned a 6-3 first set win over Camille Trapness, and posted score of 6-1 in the second set to pull the Jumbos to within one point of closing out the match.
However, the Mammoths began to turn the tide, as Smukler bested Karamercan, after two hard-fought 7-5 and 6-4 sets to record the Amherst's first point of the evening.
Buyoed by Smukler's success, the Mammoths on Courts 2 and 6 fought back in their respective sets after each dropped their first sets to Jumbo opposition. Chen was slow to start in her match agianst Louks on Court 2, as the former only managed to win one of the first seven games, finding herself down a set early on in the match. However, she came to life in the second set, leveling her match with Louks at one-set-apiece. The two traded blows in the third set with Chen coming within one game of securing the Mammoths' second point at 5-4. However, Amherst's comeback aspirations came tp a halt, when Louks managed to string together the final three games of the match to clinch the dual for the Jumbos, 7-5 in the third set.
Tufts 5, Amherst 1
- Karamercan, Mina/Louks, Lauren (TUFTS) def. Chen, Kelsey/Smukler, Camille (AMHERST) 8-6
- Iwasaki, Tomo/Popa, Otilia (TUFTS) def. Ivenitsky, Anya/Wagman, Avery (AMHERST) 9-7
- Calabro, Connor/Meltzer, Alexa (TUFTS) def. Adamo, Megan/Carpenter, Claire (AMHERST) 8-6
- Smukler, Camille (AMHERST) def. Karamercan, Mina (TUFTS) 7-5, 6-4
- Louks, Lauren (TUFTS) def. Chen, Kelsey (AMHERST) 6-1, 1-6, 7-5
- Iwasaki, Tomo (TUFTS) vs. Ivenitsky, Anya (AMHERST) 3-2 DNF
- Wiley, Katherine (TUFTS) def. Trapness, Camille (AMHERST) 6-3, 6-1
- Meltzer, Alexa (TUFTS) vs. Adamo, Megan (AMHERST) 1-2 DNF
- Calabro, Connor (TUFTS) vs. Wagman, Avery (AMHERST) 6-1, 4-6, 2-1 DNF
Order of Finish:
Doubles - 3, 2, 1
Singles - 4, 1, 2